Fun + Food: Architecture + Baking Competition, Edible Pavilion editionRegister Sept. 4th - Sept. 29th. Submissions are due October 1, 2019 between 7am-12pm at Fluff Meringues & More
Fluff Meringues & More and Matt Fajkus Architecture (MF Architecture), are excited to announce a unique city-wide design contest that combines the two local businesses’ love for baked goods and architectural design.
How to Enter
- Read the entry criteria below
- Register your details on the online entry portal. Registration form must be complete and submitted by the end of day on September 29th, 2019, otherwise entry will be invalid.
- OPTIONAL – Attend an informal learning session on Saturday 14th or 21st from 10-11am at the Fluffery to learn a bit about the materials you can use, recipes, tips + tricks you can use for your pavilion.
- Submit your entry to Fluff Meringues & More, 4800 Burnet Rd, #450, Austin, TX 78756 on Tuesday, October 1 between 7am – 12pm. Entries submitted before or after those times will be invalid.
- Baked entry
- 1 page that lists the name of your entry, your name and contact details, and a signed letter to state the baked entry is not poisonous, or has any poisonous decorative materials (please do not poison our judges!).
- 1 page design brief, including the name of your entry, a full list of ingredients, the design concept to explain the form/shape, purpose of the materials, color scheme, and any significant design features, and the baking process.
- Baked entry to have a board base no bigger than 15”x15”, with no height restriction, to be an enclosed or partially enclosed space (think anything from a bungalow to a park pavilion, and anything in between!). All decorations, if any, must be handmade. Any commercially made decorations (nonpoisonous) will be judged accordingly.
- At least 80% of materials must be edible. You can have up to 20% inedible, but they must be food-related materials (nonpoisonous, for instance, no concrete, wood, or glue, etc.- think toothpicks, popsicle sticks, skewers, etc.)
- Please include the name of your entry with your baked submission (for instance, on a piece of paper with a toothpick), as well as an edible piece (cookie, brownie, etc) using all the ingredients used in the baked structure for tasting, if you wish to gain the taste bonus.
Presentation and General Impression 0-10 points
– Creativity, architectural appearance, color
Stability 0-20 points
– How it will behave in the elements, heat/water resistant
Design concept 0-10 points
– Purpose of materials, design features
Baking Process 0-10 points
Bonus (taste) 0-10 points
TOTAL: 50 points + 10 Bonus possible
1st Place: 45 – 50 points
2nd Place: 40 – 44 points
3rd place: 35 – 39 points
Best of Taste: 8-10 points
1st Place: $100 Fluff gift certificate + $100 cash
2nd Place: $50 Fluff gift certificate + $50 cash
3rd place: $25 Fluff gift certificate + $25 cash
Best of Taste: Architecture design book
Special Mention: Mention in social media
TRAINING + LEARNING SESSION
Kristin Collins, owner of Fluff Meringues & More, will offer two complementary training sessions (1ish hours each) for anyone who wishes to come in and learn about certain food items and techniques that can help out with the building of the pavilion structure (meringues, edible glue, buttercream, caramel, etc.).
The training sessions will be demonstration only not hands on. Some basic recipes will be handed out at each session. Questions are welcome during the sessions.
September 4: Registration opens on Eventbrite
September 29: Online registration deadline
October 1: Entry submission from 7am – 12pm. Judging from 12pm – 2pm. Announcement of finalists at 6pm. *All non-finalists will need to pick up their submission between 6- 9pm or they will be destroyed.*
October 3: Special Mentions announced
October 4-5: Winners announced
October 5-6: Winners pick up their submission and collect their prizes
OPTIONAL September 14 & 21st: Training sessions from 10am-11am
Meet Our Judges
Owner + Baker, Fluff Meringues & More
Principle Architect, Matt Fajkus Architecture
Executive Director, Austin Food & Wine Alliance
Food Editor + Critic, Austin Chronicle
Designer + Architect
Where to Submit
Fluff Meringues & More
4800 Burnet Road #450
Austin, Texas 78756
Parking available in lot behind the Rosedale Village. The Fluffery is located just south of the Rosedale Vetrinary Clinic and across the street from Picnik and Pinthouse Pizza.
Matt Fajkus Architecture is an award-winning and licensed architecture and interior design practice that welcomes residential and commercial projects, both small and large.
The design work of Matt Fajkus Architecture, informally known as MF Architecture, is based on the belief that each project is unique, as it should be driven by the end user, the site, and functional requirements, rather than a singular, preconceived aesthetic. The practice aims for clear and simple solutions to complex problems by blending expertise as well as experimentation. As a young and energetic collaborative, the firm is simultaneously an academic think tank, directly connected to theoretical and technological research at the University of Texas at Austin School of Architecture, while also practicing with a deep focus on realizing exceptional buildings.
Since the inception of the firm, the MF Architecture team have been working towards expanding the relevance of the architecture field among the general public and within popular culture, actively involved in cross-disciplinary collaborations.
Fluff Meringues &More
The Fluffery is a fusion of a British patisserie with a quirky, modern American spirit. In July of 2014 Kristin Collins, the Founder and Owner, started Fluff Meringues & More as a small side gig with the goal of opening her own shop one day. She endeavored to create a place that focuses on providing an escape from the everyday doldrum with a sophisticated, yet delightful atmosphere and delicious treats. A place where you could just as easily come in for an afternoon of tasty leisure as you could to pick up a completely bespoke, edible work of art for your sister’s birthday or have the best date nightcap of your life.
The Fluffery takes pride in sourcing high quality ingredients to produce elegant, yet fun and tasty treats for their guests. Further, the team use the finest purveyors they can find for tea, coffee, and chocolate.
Designed by the award winning architecture and interior design practice Matt Fajkus Architecture, the Fluffery has approximately 1,100 sq ft of indoor dining space with an additional 300 in the form of a front patio. Its minimal interior balances crisp details with moments of whimsy and intrigue to create an environment where the sensation of delight is celebrated and encouraged.